Like Toxic Tessie? Then Check out the art of Ryan Williamson at Pixel Hate Design.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Random Radio Experiment

Boston radio stations, with the exception of WBCN, pretty much suck.  I find myself listening to Rochester stations like WXXI or The Buzz, or Los Angeles' KROQ on my computer instead of just having the radio on these days.  But there is one all-purpose station that I put on if I just need random background noise, and on weekdays, it has the added benefit of being commercial-free between 9 am and noon.  That station is Mike FM, and it truly is random. The only downer is that I run the risk of hearing an occasional Shania Twain song. *shudder.*

So one day over the summer I had the radio tuned to Mike FM.  And I began to write down the first full sentence of every song that came on the radio for about an hour and a half.  I was curious to see if it ended up telling a story.  I did this with the intent of blogging it, and then forgot about it, and then found the paper yesterday while cleaning out a cupboard in our home office.  How serendipitous during BufBloPoFo season!  So, here is the (admittedly kind of lame) random radio first-line-of-every-song experiment:  
(And see how many of these songs you recognize from the first sentence ...)

Well, I heard him on the TV, preachin' 'bout the promised land.  We're not scared to lose it all, security throw through the wall.  I know it's late.  Take a look at my girlfriend - she's the only one I got. My friend the communist holds meetings in his RV.  Hey little sister - what have you done? I was travelin' down the road, feelin' hungry and cold. Zwei, drei, vire, one two three, it's easy to see, but it's not that I don't care so.  I have a mansion, forget the price. Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road. The heat is on - it's on the street. Golden years, gold, wop wop wop. We do it all, everything, on our own. A white light on the stormy ground. Turn the beat around, love to hear the passion.  Sweet dreams are made of these - who am I to disagree?  She grew up in an Indiana town with a good lookin' mama who never was around. Those times I waited for you seemed so long ago.  Wild thing - you make my heart sing.  Gimem a word, gimme a sign, show me where to look, tell me what will I find? Don't think of me as unkind - words are hard enough to find.  I want to break free!  Well I don't know where I'm going, but I sure know where I've been.  She give me money when I'm in need.  The Salvation Army band played and the children drank lemonade.  You must understand how the touch of your hand makes my pulse react.

So?  Is there a story there?  You tell me!

No comments: