Like Toxic Tessie? Then Check out the art of Ryan Williamson at Pixel Hate Design.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Read all about it!!

The last few years I have made a new year's resolution to finish reading at least 2 books a month. That was before I started commuting on the train, where I have a half hour each direction to read to my heart's content. Though only half of 2007 was this commute, I still managed to rack up a hefty list of books my eyes pored over this year, even with planning a wedding in the midst of it all. The grand total for 2007 was 36 books - definitely more than 2 per month!

It would take much too long to profile each of these books with a full on review, so I will make a simple system, and if you want further details, just ask. My simple system is this:

Awesome (Read This Book!!)
Good (I really enjoyed this, you might too)
Ok (If you're bored and have nothing else to read)
Eh (Well, it passed some time on the train anyway)
Don't Bother ('nuff said.)

So without further adieu, here are the Books Marcy Read in 2007:

First Test by Tamora Pierce Good
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman Awesome

Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip Awesome
Page by Tamora Pierce Good
Squire by Tamora Pierce Good
Lady Knight by Tamora Pierce Good
The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip Good
Biting the Sun by Tanith Lee Awesome! Awesome! (Yes, that's a double Awesome)
The Giggler Treatment by Roddy Doyle OK
The Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card (re-read) Good

Four Ways to Forgiveness by Ursula K. Leguin OK
The Burning Times by Jeanne Kalogridis (re-read) AWESOME (My favorite book)
Irish Wedding Traditions by Shannon McMahon-Lichte Eh
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman AWESOME
Irish Girls About Town by Maeve Binchy and others OK

Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip Awesome
The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier Good
The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman Good
The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman Good (HATED the ending.)
Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire Good
The Druid King by Norman Spinard Good
The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis Good
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray OK
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman Awesome (I want to see this made into a movie!)
The Summoner by Gail Z. Martin Eh, though I will read the sequel

Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons AWESOME!
Fables Vol 7: Arabian Nights (and days) by Bill Willingham Good
Fables Vol 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham Good
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett Awesome (I can't give Neil Gaiman any less than an Awesome on anything.)
The Queen’s Fool by Phillipa Gregory Good
Blade of Fortriu by Juliet Marillier Good
The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier Good
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (re-read) AWESOME!
A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin AWESOME!
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin AWESOME!
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin AWESOME!

2 comments:

Bryan Mahoney said...

LOVE the ratings system! And I totally agree! Though, I'm only on book 2 of the George RR Martin series so don't give it away!!!

hacker snakelegs said...

are any of these nonfiction? I like suggestions for great books, but am not a fiction lady.