Like Toxic Tessie? Then Check out the art of Ryan Williamson at Pixel Hate Design.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Auto Pilot

So this morning I was waiting in the cold for the bus. Some miraculous feat of willpower has overtaken me, and I am taking the bus to the train station instead of driving. It's saving us $100 a month, so it's something, anyway. I don't mind the actual riding on the bus part at all. It's the waiting in the cold and the having to get up earlier part that I abhor. I've never been much of a morning person if that morning involves an alarm clock, and the last thing I want to do is sleep less and stand in the cold and wait for the bus. But hey, here I am, suddenly Mrs. Willpower, and I've saved $200 so far.

So, like I said, this morning I was waiting in the cold for the bus, and I started watching cars as they went by. And then I started counting how many of each car type I saw. Luckily I only had to wait five minutes today, but here's an inventory of cars I saw in the right lane heading east down Mass Ave in Arlington:

2 Mercedes
12 Toyota
4 Ford
3 Chevy
4 Honda
2 Saab
1 Volvo
4 Volkswagen
3 BMW
1 Acura
1 Oldsmobile
1 Buick
1 Saturn (not counting Bryan's)
1 GMC
1 Mack Truck
2 Mazda

Boy - I hope the rest of my day is as exciting as that five minutes was!

3 comments:

al said...

No Mini Coopers?!?! Or do those count under BMW? Mini Coopers make me squeak with delight... its the little things.

BobbaLew said...

I drove transit-bus for 16&1/2 years.
It was fun, but only the operation of large equipment — the clientele was rather frightening.
Riding bus was only for the halt, the maim, those who otherwise could not drive (like DWIs).
To ride bus meant allowing an extry half-hour or more to make connections.
Years ago when I worked downtown (Rochester) riding bus made sense, since it was in-and-out.
(Getting across-town to a suburban work-location was beyond-the-pale.)
But even then you had to start out early in case the bus crippled — a rather common occurrence.
Driving bus was fun, but it was a stupid meaningless job.

BobbaLew said...

We bus-drivers had two rules:
-1) Don’t hit anything
-2) Don’t get shot
(Otherwise anything else goes.)