Like Toxic Tessie? Then Check out the art of Ryan Williamson at Pixel Hate Design.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mojitos!!!

Here are some random things to update this here blogness, since I've been away for a while. The power cord to Bryan's computer went kaput so we've been in a blog blackout. (See his blog here for his side of the story.)

1. This weekend I had my first Mojito. It was on a whim. I've had a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with rum since a bad Long Island Iced Tea incident in college (never make up the rules to a drinking game as you go - especially when it involves a Muppet Movie - and never drink Long Island Iced Tea for a drinking game. Ever.) Truth be told, these days I rarely have more than a glass of wine, or a Guinness on any given week. That's singular, as in I have the tolerance of a chipmunk, or perhaps a hamster. But this past Friday night, with thoughts of the next day when Bryan and I would be officially booking our honeymoon, I ordered me a Mojito and boy was it tasty. I can definitely see myself in a hammock on the beach sipping one of those. Yum! I don't think I hate rum anymore!

2. I have given my soul over to short stories. I am finding great unabashed pleasure in the non-committal joy of reading and writing short stories. I set out to be a novelist and I always had this lame view that short stories are supposed to be for classroom related writing assignments and training ground for your book, but somehow over the past year I have fallen in love with the short story. I'm building a collection. And I've been reading collections - among a recent group of books I now devour on an almost weekly basis on my train commute are Neil Gaiman's "Smoke and Mirrors" and a group of stories by Irish women authors called "Irish Girls About Town." (Both of which I highly recommend!)

(2.5) On a similar note: I also, in the last month have read Patricia McKillip's "Od Magic," Juliet Marillier's "The Dark Mirror," Phillip Pullman's "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass," Gregory McGuire's "Mirror Mirror," and Norman Spinard's "The Druid King" (a really cool historical fiction about the warrior 'king' of Gaul, Vercingetorex, and his battles with Julius Ceaser. I highly reccommmend this book!) On tomorrow's commute I will start another historical fiction called "The Borgia Bride" by Jeanne Kalogridis, about Lucrezia Borgia, who was also one of the key players in the aforementioned "Mirror Mirror," if you're interested.) And yes, in case you're not keeping track, that's 8 books I've read in the last month. I spend lots of time on the train ... and that doesn't even count the other books I've read this year. I'm keeping a full list and will at some point post my reading progress again at a later date. I like seeing all the books I've read in a big ol' list. It makes me feel, as they say here in Boston, wicked smaht.

3. I'm blogging from my bed. The wonders of wireless internet! I can blog before falling asleep. I can even shop from here. This so rocks!

Alright, well, on that note, I must be off to sleep. (So that I can rest my eyes for my morning read - er - commute.) That's all from Hazmat for now. Rock on.

3 comments:

al said...

Mmmm mojitos!!! hey, on a completely random note... on facebook they have groups you can join, one of which i knew you would appreciate the title of: "Bruce Campbell's Chin Would Own Chuck Norris' Roundhouse Kick" :)

And on another note, yay for booking your honeymoon! If you have any other wedding stuff to do and want someone to come along with you, just let me know!

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).